Sunday, June 5, 2011

The End of Flipping Pages?

Will the expression "That's a real page-turner" go the way of the dinosaur?  One of my FB friends had posted about that.  It made me sad.  

I had spoken to my brother just the other day about a series of books he had lent me.  It's been an awesome connection that we have.  We've shared many books over the years.  A legacy my mom left us with.  She too was an avid book reader.  As the conversation was coming to an end I had asked him if he had ever given The Kindle or The Nook any consideration. He then told me that he had spoken to a couple of people who had rave reviews about both products. 

Barnes and Noble's Nook


Amazon's Kindle










      The Nook is available in black and white as well as color.        
I would love to have more space and get rid of some books that I used as reference. But...hmmm there is just something about having a book in hand. Maybe there is a enough room for both in the world.  I think the ebook reader can save me money, and space.  I'd still be able to curl up with a book and a cup of tea.  I would need to find balance. 
Meanwhile, let me give you the low down.  If you know someone in college Barnes and Noble has an awesome Free eText book application.  Both Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon have free ebook applications.  They offer free ebooks also.  I'm really not sure which one is better. 
So, while there may be room in my heart for an ebook reader I don't think they will ever replace an afternoon of flipping through my favorite cookbooks or a rainy afternoon curled up with a book.  Ohhh I almost forgot browsing through a poetry book!  Would it ever be the  same on an ereader?  Ok...what do you think?  I'd love to hear from you.
BTW -I did work on my goals today...didn't do too well with food but really enjoyed my yoga work out.  I woke up early and while the rest of the house was asleep I got in some serious yoga time.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment