Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sugar Substitutes

There are many people who are grateful that there are sugar substitutes.  I can very well understand why a diabetic or a dieter is happy to find one that tastes good.  I do believe there is a difference between a diabetic and a dieter.  For our purposes, on this blog I'm discussing sugar substitutes as a dieter.  There is no medical reason for me to choose a sugar substitute and that is the prospective that I am talking from.


Splenda had been my sugar substitute of choice until I began researching it.  A little frightening but what frightens me the most is the amount of contradictory information.  Once I get past the blah blah blah I have come to realize that the FDA doesn't "think" it will cause me cancer and it "may" not be harmful to my health. 

After reading pro's and con's from several websites I thought Sweet n Low was the way to go.  After all they haven't been able to prove that the long terms effects may be cancer.  And I want to test this theory, why?

Agave Nectar comes in at the same calories as sugar.  While I've heard that it's great for diabetics there is still a lot of info coming in.  I've bought the bottle and have been using it.  No, I don't really think it's much sweeter than sugar and don't really use a lot less.  It's not really a healthier alternative from sugar it's just an alternative to sugar.

Could it be that it's not the sugar that is the problem but consuming it in excess or perhaps the process of getting sugar from field to cup of tea? 

Wouldn't it be cool if it would could eliminate all the hidden sugar in things that we didn't want it in anyway.  Then we could have it when we want guilt free!

Is natural sugar better for you? Was a good article by Nutrition Diva.  I would recommend a browse through.

I'm not sure which is best so I'm going to go old school on this and stick with honey and evaporated cane juice. It's slightly less refined and so it retains a bit more color and flavor from the sugar cane.  The tan-colored crystals have a slight caramel or molasses aroma.  I haven't tried it in baking to date.  It appeals to me because it's unbleached.  I'm not crazy about my sugar being bleached. 


What do you think?  I'm really interested to hear what your choices are and why?

By the way have you seen Spenda Essentials?  Now you can have your sucralose with added vitamins.  hmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment